Skip to main content

My '91s and me

First a note about the latest "Define the Design" post. I said it was going to be a toughy, didn't I? No one really came up with an ideal description for the 1990 Upper Deck set -- probably because it is "the most boringest boring bore of boredom set," to partially quote dayf. So, for now, I'm going with my "green-and-gold racing stripe set" definition on the sidebar. If anyone comes up with something better, let me know. But you won't win cards for it now.

As for the 1991 Upper Deck set, a few people came up with a similar definition that works pretty well. The design seems to suggest the path from second base to home plate. The person who came up with that first is David from Topps Tribe. I'll be using his "Score From Second" description in the "Define the Design" sidebar, and he wins a stack of '91 Upper Deck cards! David, email me your address, and I'll send you some 2009 Upper Deck as well.

OK, speaking of 1991, I received a stack of 1991 Topps from Mark of Mark's Ephemera on Monday. Fourty-three more cards gets me a lot closer to completing the set.

When I think about it, it's kind of odd that I am collecting this set. The photos are great and all, but part of the reason why I collect certain sets is because I associate that set with what was going on in my life in that particular year. 1975? Good times. 1983? Good times. 1989? Good times.

But 1991 was not one of my favorites. I was just starting out in the adult world. I was about a year into my first full-time job and less than a year into my marriage. I was muddling my way through both. My boss was the biggest jerk that I have encountered in my entire life. I had moved away from all of my friends to an area where I knew no one. And I was starting to realize that I didn't like my new location at all.

So that's sort of what I think of when I see my 1991 Topps. A great big year of confusion.

Fortunately, cards can be all about suppressing bad memories, too! Weeee! Let's forget our past troubles and look at the cards:

Joe Carter. I'm starting with the guy who was mostly known as an Indian until he hit that home run for the Blue Jays in '93. I don't have much memory of him as a Padre. Carter's home run was a great moment if you were a Blue Jay fan. But I was rooting for the Phillies. It was another year in the '90s when the wrong team won the Series. Here's a look:

1990: Rooted for: A's; Who won: Reds
1991: Rooted for: Twins; Who won: Twins
1992: Rooted for: Braves; Who won: Blue Jays
1993: Rooted for: Phillies; Who won: Blue Jays
1995: Rooted for: Indians; Who won: Braves
1996: Rooted for: Braves; Who won: Yankees
1997: Rooted for: Indians; Who won: Marlins
1998: Rooted for: Padres; Who won: Yankees
1999: Rooted for: Braves; Who won: Yankees

Woo-hoo! 1-for-9! Fortunately, the Series outcomes have been a little better this decade.

Barry Bonds, All-Star. Even though A-Rod is getting a beating right now, do you think Barry looks at what A-Rod did and thinks, "I should have done that." Or do you think he just yells at his handlers and says: "We should've done that!"


John Franco and Omar Vizquel. When both of these guys were six or seven years into their careers, do you think anyone thought they would have the epic careers that they ended up having? Good for them!

George Brett, Record Breaker. On this card, Brett kind of looks like David Cone to me. I thought that's who it was at first glance. Then my brain told me Cone wouldn't be batting for the Royals and wasn't even on the Royals in 1989-90.

Ryne Sandberg. Cards like this are why I'm collecting the 1991 set. And you can see here what Wrigley Wax was saying on this post. Except, wait a minute, you can't see the catcher's feet either. What is going on?

Mark also sent some 1991 Score Dodgers that I need. I really should have all of the '91 Score Dodgers by now. But I don't. I don't know why I haven't collected them all yet. Just not that enamored with the set, I guess.

And he sent some 1980 Topps Dodgers for my Dodger binders! 1980 is one of my complete sets and it pains me that I can't take the Dodgers from that set to go into my team binder. This helps a lot.

Meanwhile, yet another package arrived on Monday. This was from reader Steve in South Carolina. He wanted the UD Documentary card I showed on my 2009 Upper Deck pack break since he was at that game, and he sent some great stuff in return.


Among the highlights were two Topps Heritage High Numbers Dodgers. These are great because I've abandoned the idea of collecting the high numbers for this set. (Still trying to get the low numbers though!) So I'm still looking for any Dodgers from this set. The DeWitt card is a black back, too.

Finally, my first Stadium Club Beam Team autograph card! Thanks, Steve! This is of Delwyn Young, who doesn't seem to move his hand from left to right when he signs his name. These cards are very nice in person.

That wraps up all of the Monday packages. Thanks, Mark and Steve. And Brian and John, too. Great stuff as always.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
We'll look at your '91 want list, as we actually have quite a few of those.

The beam team auto looks very pretty; good to know that it doesn't disappoint in person.