Skip to main content

Yup, more Dodgers

On Saturday, while most sports fans were watching NCAA basketball, I tuned in to WGN and watched some of the White Sox-Dodgers spring training affair before I headed to work.

I'm more baseball-centric these day than I've ever been since I was a kid. I can block out any other sporting event, no matter how hyped or huge, for the sake of baseball. Plus, this wasn't any old baseball game. It was my first chance to see the Dodgers in 2009! Living 2,500 miles from Camelback Ranch, I don't have many opportunities.

To get into the spirit of the game, I decided to record my baseball firsts for 2009. But after three innings I got distracted, so it's only a partial list. Here is the official, unfinished tally:

First batter: Rafael Furcal, Dodgers
First pitch: Gavin Floyd, White Sox
First out: Rafael Furcal, grounder to short
First strikeout: Orlando Hudson by Gavin Floyd
First base hit: Manny Ramirez, Dodgers
First walk: Carlos Quentin, White Sox by Randy Wolf, Dodgers
First successful pick-off: Wolf to James Loney to Furcal on Quentin
First bunt for a base hit: Juan Pierre, Dodgers
First caught stealing: Pierre by A.J. Pierzynski
First RBI: Alexei Ramirez, White Sox

It was a good thing I had to go to work, because the White Sox shelled Wolf in the sixth and the Dodgers went through their usual, "we can hit, just not with runners in scoring position" act.

So, now that I've viewed my first game, I'm more ready than ever for the season to start. And what better way to get me even more in the rooting mood with a bunch of Dodgers cards from Max?

This is part 2 of the spectacular cards sent by Max. He's been doing some spring cleaning and sending cards every which way to grateful bloggers. Good on ya and much obliged, Max.

I'm going to start with the more current players and then go back in time, because the cards he sent were across the board, year-wise.

I'll start with Clayton Kershaw, who could be the difference between a great pitching staff and staff that limps through the entire season. I don't like putting pressure on a young'un like Clayton, but the talent is there. He's had a good spring so far. Almost as good as his Bowman Chrome card here.

Here are two other keys to the season. Manny can't do it all again this year, fellas. Ethier showed what he could do last year. He needs to continue, and Kemp has to elevate his performance.

These Finest Moments cards are shiny, but a bid odd with the players being cut off at the torso and the strange subtitles at the bottom.

This is my first Upper Deck '09 OPC insert. I've heard all the talk about how they resemble 1975 Topps, my most favoritist set ever. It's a poor imitiation of '75 Topps, in my opinion. I like the colors, though.

By the way, Upper Deck has atrocious card backs this year. They're absolutely useless. I learn nothing from them, and they're certainly not entertaining.

"Russ" Martin's 2006 Topps Chrome card. I like this card a whole bunch, although the write-up on the back makes a disturbing reference to a "Canadian-on-Canadian collision." Hmmm.

During Saturday's game, I got my first glimpse of the "J. Martin" on the back of Martin's uniform, in honor of his mother. It's kind of confusing if you don't know why it's there. It smacks of a Hollywood move if you ask me, but I feel a bit guilty saying anything considering it's a gesture for his mom.

Max very generously sent three of Hershiser's 1985 rookie cards. The Topps card I needed for my Dodger binder. These two I've never seen before, thanks to RC hoarders.

These are the last two 1984 Topps Traded Dodgers cards I needed. That sounds more impressive than it is, as there are only three '84 Dodgers Traded cards. But, still, Traded cards are sometimes hard to get.

That's why I appreciate these and the fact that Max sent me every one of the 1983 Topps Traded Dodgers (5 total), which I needed for my Dodger collection.

I'm going out of order here to show these 2003 Topps World Series cards. I don't know what these are from as I wasn't collecting in 2003. They're weird, shiny metallic cards. I remember the 1978 game -- Game 1 of the World Series -- quite well. Watching the Dodgers pound the Yankees for 11 runs in the opening game was awesome.

Still out of order here, but the '08 Donruss Threads card features a Dodger from the '70s. I don't think I've ever seen Garvey in a uniform other than the Dodgers and Padres. It's weird. I don't even know if I'm supposed to put this card with my other Dodgers.

It's a pretty cool card if you like college sports. I'm not a college sports fan.

This actually isn't the coolest thing that Max sent. But it's close. I need all four of these Ron Cey cards for my Dodger binder. I'm super pleased about the '75 card. The '74 card is an awesome action shot, although it doesn't look like Ron is having much success.

I have upgraded the '74 card a number of times, and I think this one is better than the one I have now. And Max sent me two of the '74 card.


These are the two oldest Kellogg's cards I have now. I've never gone out of my way to collect Kellogg's cards older than the first cards I ever pulled out of a cereal box, which were in 1977. The first card of Willie Davis is from 1974 and the Wes Parker card is from 1972. And I can't express how cool we thought these cards were when we were kids. They were the Sportsflics of our time.

I've increased my collection of 1966 Topps Dodgers quite a bit since the start of this blog. Here's a sweet card of Smoky Alston. I'm not sure why they called him Smoky.

Alston's long tenure with the Dodgers was impressive even for his time. On the back of the card, the bio raves about how Alston is in his 13th season.

I'm going to end it with some TCMA cards that Max sent. I wasn't even aware of this "All-Time Dodgers" set issued in 1980. But it was tough to keep track of all the sets TCMA issued.

What I like about these cards are the different photos that were used (except for the posed Hodges head shot), and the card backs, which feature detailed bios.

This Jackie card almost looks like he just leveled his opponent in the ring.

Look how young Koufax looks on this card! I wonder what the letter "R" hanging behind him is. Maybe it was his birthday and it says "Happy Birthday"? Anyway, it's a photo I've never seen before, and that's what makes these All-Time Dodgers cards awesome.

Max sent a bunch of other stuff: Dodgers from between 1978-84 and others between 1974-76, a well-loved Garvey Hostess card, another shiny Russell Martin, a retro Drysdale, stickers. You name it.

Wonderful stuff. Thanks, Max. I'm officially ready for the season.

Comments

Mark Aubrey said…
TCMA had two Dodgers sets in 1980.

They did the All-Time Brooklyn Dodgers set, which these cards are from. It was a 12 card set, part of their All-Time Teams series.

They also produced a 40 card set of the 1959 L.A. Dodgers.