Skip to main content

Random answers from random contest done randomly

For all nine of you who participated, here are the random results for the random contest held here a few days ago.

I get the impression that people aren't fans of multiple choice questions. Or questions in which they can't possibly determine the correct answer. Or maybe it's that 50 random cards of 2009 product just isn't enough incentive to pretend you're in school again, filling in tiny circles with a No. 2 pencil.

That's OK. Someone is going home with free cards and that's really all I wanted -- that, and to amuse myself in some off-the-wall fashion. Mission accomplished.

So, here are the totally random answers. And by random, I do me random. I won't list the questions 1 through 10 as I did in the previous post. I'm mixing them up. I'm showing the cards upside down, too. Why? Well, I wanted to feature the answers upside down as they often do in magazine or newspaper quizzes. But I couldn't figure out how to do that. Plus it would require turning your laptop upside down and considerable eye strain. So I just flipped the card scans.

I know it makes no sense. Don't get uppity. This blog is for me, not for you. Well, it's for you a little bit, but mostly for me. Anyway, here are the results. Winner revealed at the end:

3. Why is Eric Karros signing while wearing his batting gloves.

Answer: b. "You don't know where these things fans ask him to sign have been." I don't blame him. If I saw some of those fans coming at me, I'd do the same thing.

8. Why is this card cool?
Answer: d. "It shows the best Robinson ever." This is a reference to beardy's poll in which he seems to think there are some Robinsons on the Orioles who have had their numbers retired by Major League Baseball for all eternity. But there is only one Jackie.
1. What is Wilton Guerrero signing on this baseball?
Answer: c. "I am not Vladimir, stop calling me that." Easy one. Maybe he never signed that. But I'm sure he said it.

10. Upper Deck claims this is an authentic piece of bat used by Davey Lopes. What is it really?
Answer: a. "An authentic piece of stick they found on a sidewalk somewhere." You know it happens. That is why I am not on a mission to collect relic cards. I'll gladly take them, but I'm not going to invest too much time into something that I don't 100 percent know to be true.

6. Why does this card make me happy?
Answer: c. "This makes everything right after the horrid decision to pitch a year for the Giants." Ah, you need to know Night Owl to get this one right. I was devastated by Orel's temporary loss of sanity.

5. What is this card?
Answer: c. "Really, I want to know what the heck this card is (5 extra cards if you can tell me what this card is and you win this contest)." I'm not 100 percent certain I know what card this is even after some helpful answers. So I'll be withholding the 5 extra cards.

4. Why is Raul Mondesi in such an awkward sliding pose?
Answer: d. "This question bores me." And this answer bores me. So onward.

2. What is the only color that is not featured on the front of this baseball card?
Answer: d. "The yellow background is really freaking me out." Seriously. It's like something from a Rob Zombie video.

7. What will I do with the stickers from this Mike Piazza card?
Answer: a. "Nothing, they will stay there as is their constitutional right." A very adult answer for a very childish hobby. Yet I apologize for nothing.

9. What is in the bag on the shelf behind Hershiser?
Answer: b. "Pasta recipes for Lasorda." In order to survive on the Dodgers during the Lasorda era, you had to stay on his good side. Also, for those who are curious, it does say on the back that Hershiser's favorite movie is "The Sound of Music."

OK, those are the answers. Time to find out who the winner is.

First, those of you who stayed in the spirit of the contest by throwing out nonsensical answers to my nonsensical questions, good for you. But you were all over the board. Tunguska went with all Cs. Only one point for him. Captain Canuck went with alternate Cs and Ds, and very nearly pulled it off with five correct answers.

Some of you gave multiple answers for questions and I rewarded that with a 1/2 point or 1/4 point. So after adding up all the totals the winner is:

Beardy! He came up with 7 1/4 points! Well done. Selecting multiple answers for a few questions helped him pile up the points, but even if I discounted those answers, he still would have won with 6. The next closest was 5 1/2.

I'm not sure if I should be sending Beardy even more cards. He's apparently having the time of his life at a ballgame right now while I sit home alone with a dog who wants to go on like his fifth walk today. And I've sent him a bunch of cards already. And then he goes out and gets the cards that I send him before mine can even arrive at his door. It's an embarrassment of riches for the bearded one. But, seriously, he won fair and square.

So, Beardy, enjoy your totally random cards. You'll probably be receiving them in, oh, October.

Comments

Dinged Corners said…
We have a morbid fear of multiple choice tests. Congratulations to Beardy!
Nachos Grande said…
The entire thing amused me, well done!
beardy said…
Sweet! Thanks man! I'll be on the lookout for them around Halloween.