Skip to main content

Gint-a-cuffs, back to reality

The question: is it possible for me to continue scoring no less than eight points every single pack? The answer: No.

Time to come down to earth. Here are packs 7 through 9:

PACK SEVEN

131 - Rickie Weeks (0 points)

286 - Matt Kemp (+1, favorite team). Once again, he's not going to the All-Star Game. Maybe Charlie Manuel can find a way to get Greg Luzinski in the outfield, too.

201 - Travis Snider (0 points)
51 - Ryan Perry (0 points)

30 - Ryan Howard (0 points). How is Howard worth NO POINTS? I demand an inquiry.

80 - Joe Martinez (0 points)

NP65 - Carlos Delgado, National Pride (0 points)

Yeesh. Matt Kemp propping up the whole pack.

PACK SEVEN SCORE: 1 point
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 87 points

PACK EIGHT
204 - Casey Blake (+1, favorite team). At least I'm pulling Dodgers.

182 - Jose Reyes (0 points)
253 - Miguel Cabrera (0 points)
58 - Brad Hawpe (0 points)
20 - Adam Jones (0 points)

21 - Robinson Cano (-1 point, Yankee). I'm going to stop showing Yankees, because all they're doing is taking points away from me and ticking me off. But I wanted to show this card to point out the W.B. Mason ad in the background.

The set fluctuates between solid, water-color backgrounds, and the washed out scenery background like on the Cano card. I'd rather they went all solid color.

NH25 - National Heroes, Denmark (+5 points). Niels Ebbeson is a hero of medieval Danish history. That's all I'm going to tell you. Look it up.

NP69 - Ryan Rowland-Smith, National Pride (0 points)

Ooof. Where'd my momentum go?
PACK EIGHT SCORE: 5 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 92 points

PACK NINE
187 - Brett Myers (0 points)
227 - Nelson Cruz (0 points)
228 - Will Simpson/Archie Bunker (equestrian, but no points)
97 - Art Pennington, Negro League Star (+2 points). Pennington's nickname was "Superman." You can't get a better nickname than that. In fact I think his nickname is worth 10 points alone. Twelve points total with this one, right commish?

125 - Randy Johnson (0 points)

350 - Jimmy Rollins (SP, +5 points). There's that ad again. Free advertising!

6 - Adam Eaton, black border mini (+3 points). Every Orioles fan's favorite pitcher.

NP56 - Edinson Volquez, National Pride (0 points)

Crack the code ad (0 points)

PACK NINE SCORE: 10 points
TOTAL SCORE SO FAR: 102 points

A little better. But my confidence is fading.

Comments

Drew said…
It looks like you can combine the 2 WB Mason logos to make one. You should try it!
Dinged Corners said…
The Denmark card is alarming.
Matt Runyon said…
How can Randy be 0 points? He needs to be at least 4 points. :)
Kevin said…
The Orioles completist in me is relieved, knowing that there's an Adam Eaton O's card out there.

The baseball card lover in me is disgusted that they wasted such a beautiful A & G black mini on that pig-nosed waste of space.
Andy said…
What makes you think the WB Mason advertising is free? I'm sure they paid to have it on these cards. Nothing is free anymore these days.
night owl said…
Oh, I know, Andy. That was sarcasm. Sometimes I forget how to write sarcasm so people know that's what I'm expressing.