Skip to main content

Knuckles


I totally goofed a couple of weeks ago when I posted some Albuquerque Isotopes cards that I received from a couple of great New Mexico bloggers.

I diligently scanned cards of several of the better known players from both sets. I even scanned a card of the trainer and the mascot. But I skipped pitcher Charlie Haeger. He did not get the scanning treatment. I snubbed him both times.

There's Charlie! I meant to scan your card, Charlie. When I was looking up the various Isotopes, I did notice that you were enjoying a rather good year in Albuquerque. But, still that wasn't enough, I guess.

Now, I'm taking notice (and looking a bit sheepish) after your performance for the Dodgers against the Cubs yesterday. Seven innings. Seven strikeouts. Three hits. Knuckleballs aflutter everywhere. Awesome. There is nothing like a knuckleball to make a batter look foolish, and you made a whole lot of Cubs look foolish. Kosuke and Aramis, especially.

I hope Torre gives you the ball again. I know the knuckleball can be difficult to control and there will be times when fans will wonder why the hell you're on the mound. But I hope they'll stay with you. Because I've seen what a knuckleball can do for the Dodgers.



You did Candiotti, Hough and Wilhelm proud. Heck, even I was proud and I've never thrown a knuckleball in my life. Well, I've TRIED to throw it -- about eleventy-three times -- but I don't think it ever really knuckled.

So here's to you, Charlie.

Finally, I've scanned and posted both your cards. And I'm quite happy now that I have them. Let's see you out on the mound again real soon.

Comments

Two Packs A Day said…
no doubt he's going to stay with LA - he's had 2 quality starts now.

Vincente Padilla even had a good start here in Albuquerque tonight so it should be interesting to see how he does Thursday with the Dodgers.
Matt Runyon said…
I messed around with a knuckleball when I was a kid. I never pitched in a game, but we used to goof around in practice. Most of the "knuckleballs" got pounded, but it was all worth it when one day I made the kid down the street look foolish trying to swing at one.