Skip to main content

Aimless and restless

I pulled a mouse out of my washing machine today. That was a first. I don't know how it got there. I took some clothes out of the wash that I had put there in the morning, spotted something loose at the bottom, thought it was a kid's toy that came out of a pocket, and picked it up. Yeah, with my hands.

When I brought it out of the machine into the light, I instantly realized what it was and dropped it back in the machine. I'm not skittish about stuff like that, but that gave me a jolt. The mouse was dead, obviously, but fluffy clean. And I gave the clothes another wash -- the old-fashioned way in the basement sink -- just so I could stop my brain from doing the freakout dance in my skull.

So while I'm contemplating whether we have a mouse problem or not, I am contemplating another issue -- why am I so bored with the current card situation? (Nice segue, huh?)

Until today, I hadn't bought any 2009 cards for a month. I hit the big box stores to break that streak. I hoped to find some Goodwin Champions, not because I care about the set at all -- because I don't -- but because I had a post in mind.

But the post didn't get done because there is no Goodwin anywhere here. No Obak either. (Another post postponed). And there's no online buying allowed at this point. I began thinking about what is on the horizon for card releases -- U&H, Heritage High Numbers, SP Authentic, T206 -- and none of it intrigued me. Well, I would like a Thome Dodger card. But, that aside, is it really going to be that desolate from now to next February?

I looked at what I was staring at -- blasters and packs of Goudey (hate that set), blasters of Tristar Projections (my prospecting side is undeveloped), blasters of A&G (I'm not spending 20 bucks for 4 minis I don't have), blasters and packs of X (I'd hate myself), blasters and packs of Chrome (hmmm).

I went with the Chrome just because it could do the least damage. I'm not collecting the set, so doubles won't haunt me, and shiny is always a good time. Shiny dresses up fancy.

It was actually a decent box -- only 5 doubles (including the only Dodger). But it was more geared for the folks at Dinged Corners.

Grandy ...

Koji (refractor) ...

WBC Wright ...

And my first blue refractor of 2009. Zeet! All of these will be headed to New Mexico sometime soon.

But meanwhile, I'm still waiting for something new, I'm still waiting for some TTM tries to return to me, I'm still waiting for the Dodgers to clinch a playoff spot (they could clinch tonight), and I just plain want something to happen, man. Besides pulling mice out of washing machines, I mean.

So, in the meantime, here's a guy named Brubaker. No, not Henry. Bruce. Just because.

Comments

beardy said…
Nice Koji. I know an O's fan in Baltimore who would love that card...
Sounds like the doldrums have set in...
Matt Runyon said…
Mr. Brubaker looks like an older version of Squiggy.

I just can't get into the new cards. Vintage is it for me.
Dinged Corners said…
CCS: Current Card Situation. I like that! What great cards you got! If we had opened that blaster it would have been cosmic, but at least in blogland we can cast a wider net for cosmic. Greg, thank you for thinking of us.

Re Fluffy the Mouse: They say the cold weather brings 'em in, especially to warm dryers. There's a doohickey with a cap that you can put outside on the dryer vent to keep the critters out. It could be worse: if you lived in NM you'd have to ritually burn those clothes because of bubonic plague and hanta virus.
We've got mice like crazy in our house, probably because I am a crummy (crumby) eater. I was just talking about the CCS with my brother the other day and I don't see another set (with the possible exception of T206) that I am interested in for the rest of 2009. Time to hit up the Power Packs!
Contrary Guy said…
Brubaker with the dreaded comb-down which probably graduated to a comb-over in 5 or 10 years.
Orioles Magic said…
I was at the Nats-Dodgers game last night and Thome was signing at the end of the dugout. I just missed him or would have had something nice to cheer you up.
Bruce Brubaker might be the only player ever to get a full card to himself without any prior major-league experience. (The stat chart on the back has minor league stats only!)