Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: cards 6-10

(Today is the International Day of Peace, established by the United Nations in 1981, commemorated as a day of non-violence and cease fire. It disturbs me that we have to set aside a day for this. Anyway, peace is something most rational people can appreciate. Time for Cardboard Appreciation):

Here is your winner of the first Cardboard Appreciation vote-off. Boog Powell is the first of 10 finalists for the title of the most appreciated Cardboard Appreciation card of all-time.

Powell held off a late charge by the 1993 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. insert card to win selection. I don't have the poll up anymore, as the second vote-off poll has taken its place, but here is the voting breakdown by you good people:

1. Boog Powell, (1975 Topps), 14 votes
2. Ken Griffey Jr. (1993 Upper Deck), 10 votes
3. Paul Lindblad (1974 Topps), 7 votes
4. Manny Sanguillen (1976 Topps), 5 votes
5. Cleon Jones (1969 Topps), 3 votes

So, that means it's time for the next five candidates. These cards were the 6th through 10th Cardboard Appreciation posts. They don't provide as strong a group as the first five, but each card has special meaning to me.

Meanwhile, I've got to get moving and find some more Cardboard Appreciation subjects. This vote-off thing is meant to buy me some time to find some more candidates. And I haven't budged an inch on that.

Please take a moment to vote for one of the cards in the poll on the right. The cards will thank you for it, in their own little card way.

1956 Topps Herb Score: One of my favorite cards from one of my favorite sets.

1993 Stadium Club Marquis Grissom: Everyone's favorite color is blue, right?

1975 Topps Herb Washington: The pinch-running sensation drew quite a reaction and even a comment from his daughter (but I still don't have a reliable address!)

1983 Fleer Jim Kaat: Just about everyone who looked at this card in 1983: "What the hell is ESPN?"

2006 Upper Deck Marcus Thames: I love scoreboard cards and this is one of the best.

OK, those are the next five. The links take you back to the original posts.

I have a feeling a certain card will win in a landslide. But as the cliche goes, that's why you ... well, you know the cliche.

Comments

I love the colors on the Washington card, but I love great photography and that Thames picture is great.
opoohwan said…
My vote is for Thames love the action, photograph, and gotta love the score card. Herb Score follows REAL close behind though. A very good set, I wish the creativity of card design from that era wasn't lost today.
Dinged Corners said…
Kaat and Grissom have the most opposite facial expressions imaginable.

We are riddled with indecision.