Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: the review

(Today is the first Monday Night Football game of the season. My favorite team is preparing for the honor of getting embarrassed on national TV in its season debut. No wonder I don't enjoy football anymore. Time for the sport I do enjoy: it's Cardboard Appreciation!).

After doing these Cardboard Appreciation posts for nearly a year, I have to admit that I'm running low on subject material.

I've done 50 so far and it's time to go back into the research room and dig up some more worthy cards and get those suckers scanned. And that's going to take some time.

So, as a stall tactic, I thought I'd feature all of my past Cardboard Appreciation subjects, five at a time, and you can vote on which ones you like the best. Then I'll pair up the 10 finalists and you can vote on those until we end up with the grand champeen of Cardboard Appreciation. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. Or at least it'll be interesting to me.

At a rate of one Cardboard Appreciation vote-off per week, it will take me until just about the end of the year. That's more than enough time to get off my sorry butt and gather a few more cards.

You may base your vote on whatever you want. Maybe you like the player, maybe you like the card, maybe you like the design. Maybe you like the post that went with the card. Maybe you hate the post. Maybe you hate Cardboard Appreciation. Maybe you're a hateful, spiteful, empty shell of a person. Vote anyway, dammit! The first poll is on the sidebar.

Now, off we go with the first 5 cards. I've provided a link to the past Cardboard Appreciations if you care:

Boog Powell, 1975 Topps: Three kids found endless humor in this card.
Manny Sanguillen, 1976 Topps: OK, it's not really an electric fireball behind Manny. But can't you be nice and play along?

Paul Lindblad, 1974 Topps: A hauntingly awesome card of a player who came to a sad ending.

Ken Griffey Jr., 1993 Upper Deck: A card that overcame my biases against full-bleed mania and people who wore their caps backward.

Cleon Jones, 1969 Topps: A hopeful card of a player who was about to win a world championship.

OK, that's the first five. Which do you like the best? Place your vote in the poll at right. Cards 6 through 10 coming up next week.

Comments

I went with the Paul Linblad. The photography wasn't great in the 74 set. I feel like that captured a lot with this one. All of the empty seats in the backbround speak that it is a very long season especially for a relief pitcher. The Boog is pretty funny and the Cleon is, like you said, optimistic...
I'm voting on the Lindblad card. One of my favorite designs, coupled with excellent action and colors that pop. If the stands were full of screaming fans it might have a shot at winning this thing. On a side note-I think Boog is pleading with umpiring gods not to start the game because fans are stuck in traffic. "They are coming, right?"
opoohwan said…
I am jumping on the Lindblad bandwagon. I love the action shot and the layout of the card. with the green backgrounds of "Oakland" and "A's" on opposite corners, his position makes a great composition.
Orioles Magic said…
I have to support my team and go with Boog on this one. He looks like he has no idea where that ball is. Either that or he just found Jesus!
Hackenbush said…
I love Boog, but I find the Cleon Jones card most appealing. It has a very clean, uncomplicated look. There's also something about the colors in this set that I like.
Spiff said…
Have to go with Lindblad.
yep, I'm with "Boog Powell comes to Jesus." Awesome card.
Matt Runyon said…
When we flipped cards in the 70s one of the things that made a card more "valuable" was the action shots. We loved that Boog card and we hated losing it in our competitions.
Jeremy said…
I like all the cards, but the Cleon card is the best. The simple design of the card goes together really well with the simple pastoral background. The well lit face and prominant logos on the jersey make it appealing to me. Plus it's a Met!! And a player from the championship team.
dayf said…
That ain't even Manny's best card. I'm voting for Boog.

PLATOOOOOOOON