Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: cards 16-20

(Unfortunately, we've lost another card blogger. At least temporarily. I hate to see that, but at least it reminds me of how difficult it is to keep this going on a daily basis. So, I definitely appreciate each and every person who blogs about cards. You're a dedication bunch. Here's Cardboard Appreciation):

Congrats to the 1991 Topps Carlton Fisk card. It annihilated its cardboard competition in the Cardboard Appreciation vote-off #3, kind of like a speeding Cecil Fielder flattening everything in his path. The card is so good, it even whupped another Fisk card. And that ain't easy.

Here is the devestation, in poll tally form:

1. Carlton Fisk, 1991 Topps: 16 votes
2. Carlton Fisk, 1977 Topps: 9 votes
3. Russell Martin, 2008 Topps Stadium Club: 7 votes
4. Phil Garner, 1982 Donruss: 4 votes
5. Rickey Henderson, 2003 Topps: 2 votes

So, 1991 Carlton Fisk is the third top-10 finalist in the great Cardboard Appreciation election, and it's time for vote-off No. 4.

Unfortunately, it's not a great crop of candidates. The weakest one yet. But if I found something good in these cards, then you can, too. Here they are. Links go back to the original Cardboard Appreciation post:

1981 Topps Kent Tekulve: The best part of this card is it spawned not one, but two "Best Glasses in the History of Baseball Cards" posts.

2007 Topps Josh Hamilton: Not a great card. But I was all pissy about Alex Rodriguez at the time.

2008 Topps Heritage Torii Hunter: If you're goofy, then you appreciate this card immensely. If you're not, well, I can't help you.

1997 Topps Etch-a-Sketch Hideo Nomo insert: Still blows my mind every time I see this card.

1981 Billy Martin: Another card featured in my banner. So you know I like it. C'mon, a happy Billy Martin! How many times did you see that?

The poll is up on the sidebar. Take a moment to vote. Vote before the postseason starts. You know how testy you'll get once the games begin. Teixeira every other day? Ugh. That'll certainly affect your ability to think clearly.

Comments

First, I'm glad to see Fisk won that round. The fact that it was the 1991 makes it all the sweeter. Now, for round 4. I'm goofy. If you haven't gotten that vibe from my comments or my trade package notes, then I can't help YOU. I almost voted for the Hunter based solely on his expression. After much consideration and reflection (3 or 4 minutes at least), I have to go with the classic 1981 Topps Kent Tekulve. The old school cap, the bright yellow unis, the chicken legs (you know Kent could sit in front of Congress and tell the truth that he didn't take steroids...ever!) Just seeing that card starts an old VHS in my brain of Kent's wonderful sidearm pitch.
Greg said…
Gotta go with Tekulve. That card just screams win. Oh, and you've got a little brown envelope going out in the mail to you today.
Matt Runyon said…
Tekulve. He has a lot of Stargell Stars. Who is the Met in the background?
Orioles Magic said…
I was really torn with this one. I loved the Pirates growing up and even had one of the strange hats they wore back then. But the fact that I got to talk to Torii at a few Orioles games this season and the look on his face made me vote for him. Nice post.
night owl said…
Matt: It was determined in the Tekulve post that Ron Hodges is the Met in the background.
bailorg said…
Yes, I like goofy and the Torii Hunter card is goofy, but the Tekulve is it's own special kind of goofy, so I have to vote for Tekulve.
Bevacqua said…
Tekulve is going to win this. Tekulve should win this. I'm throwing out a mercy vote to Billy for all of reasons so eloquently described by Night Owl. Billy most surely not a "glass half-full" kinda guy.
The best thing about those old-style Pirate caps is they provided plenty of room for the star pins (like stickers on a college football helmet). I was watching a game (1979 post-season maybe?) where Tekulve was leaving the field via a tunnel, and a fan reached down and took his star-laden cap.
Steve Gierman said…
I love the Tekulve card, but I'll vote for Torii Hunter because I am that goofy person who would.
I just saw the note at the top about the lost blogger.

Shameless (well-timed?) plug:
I've recently started blogs for the 1967 and 1968 Topps cards. Hopefully, I can maintain the high standards set by the '65, '69, and other blogs!
Tony said…
I'll vote for the Billy Martin, although I might be the only one. I love this card, it reminds me of when I got to meet him back when he was managing the A's. He gave me an autographed baseball which I still have, and was very friendly even though the Blue Jays killed the A's that day, 12-1. Maybe it helped that I was around eleven years old.