Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation: cards 21-25

(Baseball's Final Four is set. And at some point in November(!), we will crown a World Series champion. I am now officially hoping for a Freeway Series. Anything else, I won't be able to appreciate. So before I get into an anti-appreciation frame of mind, let's turn to Cardboard Appreciation):

The fourth Cardboard Appreciation vote-off told me one thing: retro-vintage may be cool, but it can't beat the real thing.

The 2008 Heritage Torii Hunter card gave Kent Tekulve a good run, but in the end Teke just had too much goofiness going for him. So the 1981 Kent Tekulve card is the fourth of the top 10 finalists in the great Cardboard Appreciation tournament of champions. Here is the voting breakdown for the most recent vote-off:

1. Kent Tekulve, 1981 Topps: 18 votes
2. Torii Hunter, 2008 Topps Heritage: 13 votes
3. Hideo Nomo, 1997 Topps Etch-a-Sketch insert: 8 votes
4. Billy Martin, 1981 Donruss: 8 votes
5. Josh Hamilton, 2007 Topps: 2 votes

Thanks for voting.

So, we're on to vote-off No. 5. This group includes an iconic card that should win easily. But that would be speculation. And if you've read this blog for very long, you know speculation and I are not lunch buddies. So, I'll throw it out to the floor and let you decide for yourselves. Here you are. (Links go back to the original Cardboard Appreciation posts):

1975 Topps Oscar Gamble: The card of the 1970s? I would hope so.

2005 Topps Opening Day Billy Wagner: Yes, I know it's Opening Day. But for some reason it works on this card.

1993 Score Dennis Eckersley: A classic Eckersley shot on a Score design that I like a lot.

1975 Topps Bernie Carbo: This card is full of memories of playing ball in the backyard.

1977 Topps Mark Fidrych: If you missed the late, great Fidrych in his heyday, you missed a lot.

That's the breakdown. The poll is up on the sidebar. And I've tracked down a couple more new Cardboard Appreciation cards for when I resume the regular CA posting in a couple months. Yay!

Comments

That is a crazy coincidence... I was just filling the wife in on who Oscar Gamble was earlier tonight... She loved his 1978 and it ended up on the outside of the set's binder. I said ya think thats cool, check these out and pulled out the 75 and 76 Traded-Yankees Take Gamble on Oscar...That gets my vote!
Hackenbush said…
I'm voting for the Eckersley. The great A's uniform, the flowing hair, the mustache, the look in Dennis's eyes, the anticipation of the pitch at the top of the wind-up. Just a great shot!