Skip to main content

Dodgers vs. Cardinals, Game 1

I am too emotionally invested to write anything coherent enough for a live blog of a Dodger playoff game. But I want to do something, since I'm off and able to watch the game tonight.

So, I'll be summing up my emotions after each inning of the game with the appropriate emoticon! Isn't that great? Conveying how I feel without all of the messy sentences or words or thought processes! Suddenly, I feel like a 15-year-old attached to a cell phone.

But trust me, this is for the best. Now, if this stupid Twins-Yankees game would ever get over. American League playoff games are so draawwwwwnnnnn ooouuuuuutttt. Nothing ever under 3 hours. Oh, wait, the Dodgers are starting already ...

END OF FIRST INNING

%-}

Emoticon translation: dizzy
Night owl translation: Wha-wha jus happen?
Just the facts: Randy Wolf loads bases, gives up run, throws 32 pitches in top of first; Matt Kemp blasts 2-run HR, Chris Carpenter gives up four hits in bottom of first.
Score: Dodgers 2, Cardinals 1

END OF SECOND INNING

:-#l

Emoticon translation: bushy mustache
Night owl translation: What is up with Brendan Ryan? No one normal wears what's on his face.
Just the facts: Cardinals get 2 on, Wolf up to 47 pitches; Rafael Furcal halfway to the cycle with a triple.
Score: Dodgers 2, Cardinals 1

END OF THIRD INNING

:-))

Emoticon translation: really happy
Night owl translation: Not only did the Dodgers score again, but I just pulled a Matt Kemp card out of the Ticket to Stardom blaster I'm busting while the game is going on.
Just the facts: Andre Ethier scores when Mark DeRosa throws Casey Blake's hit into right field. And I do mean right field.
Score: Dodgers 3, Cardinals 1

END OF FOURTH INNING

`:-)

Emoticon translation: sweating
Night owl translation: Cardinals score and Dodgers replace Wolf with (*gulp*) Jeff Weaver.
Just the facts: Skip Schumaker hits an RBI double. Dodgers load the bases, but Blake lines out to right to end the inning.
Score: Dodgers 3, Cardinals 2

END OF FIFTH INNING

:-l

Emoticon translation: unfazed
Night owl translation: Dodgers get the run back!
Just the facts: Rafael Furcal's sacrifice fly gives Dodgers two-run lead. Meanwhile, the stupid towels in the stands don't seem to bother me.
Score: Dodgers 4, Cardinals 2

END OF SIXTH INNING

:0

Emoticon translation: surprised
Night owl translation: Dodgers get their first 1-2-3 inning, score in bizarre fashion, AND I pull my fifth (fifth!) Angels hit out of a blaster this year. My second John Lackey hit, too. Geez.
Just the facts: Russell Martin hit by pitch with the bases loaded. Dodgers have left 13 runners on base.
Score: Dodgers 5, Cardinals 2

END OF SEVENTH INNING

%')

Emoticon translation: very tired
Night owl translation: Thunderstorm woke me up at 8:30 this morning. I've been up ever since.
Just the facts: Both Cardinals and Dodgers put two runners on. Nobody scores. This game is now way longer than the Twins-Yankees game was.
Score: Dodgers 5, Cardinals 2

END OF EIGHTH INNING

:~)

Emoticon translation: wondering
Night owl translation: Did Torre make the right move bringing in Broxton with 2 outs? Jonathan Broxton got Albert Pujols out, but then Broxton had to bat with two on and two out in the bottom of the inning. And now he's got to pitch the 9th.
Just the facts: The Cardinals and Dodgers have set an all-time postseason record for most runners left on base.
Score: Dodgers 5, Cardinals 2

END OF GAME

M:-)

Emoticon translation: saluting
Night owl translation: A little scary at the end, but the Dodgers made some good moves with the bullpen and didn't let Chris Carpenter's success against them this season faze them.
Just the facts: Cardinals' Ryan Ludwick scores after Kemp gets late jump on DeRosa's hit. Broxton gets Rick Ankiel on called third strike to end the game.
Final Score: Dodgers 5, Cardinals 3

Phew. Long day and long game. But it was worth it.

By the way, the "hit" I pulled featured an A's ticket stub with the Lackey photo. It was "bobblehead day," although I'm disappointed that it doesn't say whose bobblehead they were giving out. I also can't tell if Lackey pitched in the game or not. Such is the life of Ticket to Stardom.

OK. I'm done. And I'm :0 (hungry).

Comments

That Furcal at bat in the 5th was classic. Fouling off all those pitches, wearing Carpenter OUT, then he gets the RBI. That is what separates teams in the playoffs...well, that and a lot of other stuff!
night owl said…
Crap, Brian, I was going to write that it was an 11-pitch at-bat by Furcal, but I got so keyed up that I forgot!
I figured you meant too mention it. Furcal has been ON tonight.
beardy said…
Go Dodgers! I have officially adopted Los Angeles as my post-season city of choice. Yes, I said Los Angeles, NOT Los Angeles of Anaheim.
night owl said…
It's "flat breezy" isn't it, beardy?