Skip to main content

So, how about those Dodgers?

It's taken me awhile to put a bow on the Dodgers' 2009 season. That's mostly because I don't like writing about my team after they have been eliminated from contention. It bums me out.

But I have that "Dodger Player of the Game" listing on the sidebar that I need to eliminate now that the year's over. And I can't eliminate it without acknowledging the totals. I mean, I did pick out a most valuable Dodger after every single Dodger win this year. And I can't acknowledge the totals without writing some sort of conclusion, right?

So, for those who care, here are the complete totals for the Dodger Player of the Game, and then the list will disappear from the sidebar, only to reappear in 2010 -- if I decide to do it again:

1. Matt Kemp - 12
2. Andre Ethier -11
3. Randy Wolf - 11
4. Clayton Kershaw - 8
5. Russell Martin - 6
6. Rafael Furcal - 5
7. Chad Billingsley - 4
8. Casey Blake - 4
9. Hiroki Kuroda - 4
10. Vicente Padilla - 4
11. Manny Ramirez - 4
12. Orlando Hudson - 3
13. James Loney - 3
14. Mark Loretta - 3
15. Juan Pierre - 3
16. Jonathan Broxton - 2
17. Jon Garland - 2
18. Eric Stults - 2
19. Jeff Weaver - 2
20. Brad Ausmus - 1
21. Ronnie Belliard - 1
22. Charlie Haeger - 1
23. Eric Milton - 1
24. Jason Schmidt - 1

And that brings me to my MVPs for the season. There won't be a whole lot of explanation here. It's hard to analyze a team or a player when you're 3,000 miles away from them and rarely get to see them play in person.

MOST VALUABLE HITTER: ANDRE ETHIER

It's a toss-up between Ethier and Matt Kemp, but I'm giving the edge to Ethier because he had a bit more of a flair for the dramatic. And I was particularly proud of Ethier for emerging with a breakout year when everyone said he couldn't hit without protection from Manny Ramirez.
MOST VALUABLE PITCHER: RANDY WOLF
Wolf's season totally surprised me. I'm sure it surprised a lot of other people. It was quite possibly his best season ever. And it was completely clutch because, boy, did the Dodgers ever need pitching this season. Billingsley, Kershaw and Padilla all had their moments. But Wolf was consistent throughout. I'm hoping he returns next season.
So, there you are. I've now closed the book on 2009. What will 2010 bring? How will the bickering McCourts muck up the Dodgers? I have no idea. Last I knew, I couldn't predict the future. You can check back with me tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll have no idea then, too.

Comments

As a Rangers fan it irritates me that Padilla went to LA and did what he didn't want to do here which is pitch like he gave a crap. Since I was pulling for the Dodgers in the NL I did feel a little bad when he reverted to form in that last playoff game. I was considering "borrowing" this idea for the Rangers next season, but I don't know if I could follow through every night. Thanks for the wrap-up.
gcrl said…
i'm surprised to see russell martin show up so high on the list. talk about a disappointing season.