Skip to main content

A trade post tribute to the Dodgers

If you saw the Dodgers' clinching of the NLDS against the Cardinals, you saw a nice, subdued celebration on the field and then champagne wackiness in the locker room.

I liked the on-field version. It was classy and fitting with what the Dodgers achieved. The champagne spray-off needs to be reserved for at least the NLCS. Seriously, what's so special about being named "Division Series" champions? Besides the fact that I won my wager with Cards on Cards, that is.

When the Dodgers, clinched, I wrote a three-line post. The shortest one I've ever written. That's only because I was at work at the time, very busy, and couldn't elaborate. But considering it was only the NLDS, that seemed about right.

So, I guess you can consider this my "cover the lockers with plastic, boys, because everyone's getting a soaking tonight!" celebratory post. I've got a bunch of Dodgers to display! This is my tribute to the Dodgers, in the form of a trade post.

These are five different trades that have recently come in. There are some others that I haven't scanned yet. I'll get to them later. I'm going to get started, but first a moment of silence for this mini Cracker Jack card of Zach Wheat:

It was sent to me by Daniel of It's Like Having My Own Card Shop. And as I was preparing to post my cards, because this one is so small, it slipped away, fell, and plunged into the nearby air-return vent. Oops. I'll try to dig it out later, but I have a feeling it's a goner.

Fortunately, there are some other cards from Dan I can show.

Here is an always appreciated oddball card from 1988, commemorating Guerrero's 15-homer month in June, 1985. Sammy Sosa obliterated that mark 10 years later, but I think he had some help.

This is a '95 Pinnacle Orel Hershiser card that I did not have, so I happily add it to my "Favorite Dodgers that I collect" list. Professor Hershiser is stretching before class starts.

This is a cool-looking Fleer Ultra relic in which the jersey piece is a cog in some"Hitting Machine." I think that's Jose Canseco's vision for the future, isn't it? Take enough drugs and turn everyone into hitting automatons.

These two cards come from Greg of Lake Effect Baseball Cards. I commented that I still hadn't found the Pedro Martinez Collector's Choice. So he went out and tracked down both the base card and the silver-signature card and sent them to me! Great!

He also sent some others, including a Rated Rookie Darren Dreifort card from the only Donruss set that matters from the '90s -- 1995.

Ooh. Do you know what I like even more than my Dodger card sharing it with an evil Yankee? Writing all over the photo of the card! It's a smidgen distracting.

More Nomo cards that I need. I wonder how many of those Upper Deck Play Nomo cards there are?

This is a card from '96 Collector's Choice in which a series date was listed on the front of the card. If the player pictured on the card hit a home run in that series, you could get a "Super Premium" version of the player pictured.

I looked up the series. It was a three-game date at Colorado. Karros didn't hit a home run. But Hideo Nomo threw a no-hitter. Seems like that should be worth a special card.

I received several of these Fleer Million Dollar Moments contest cards, which is nice, because I knew they featured several Dodgers. For the longest time, all I had was a Million Dollar card of "I want a million doughnuts" Andruw Jones.

This is one of those fantastic Pinnacle/Denny's cards that I've read about but never seen. This might be the best series ever issued by a restaurant chain. You can't tell from the scan, but the cap flying off Jackie's head moves as you tilt the card.

And the back shows a hologram of Robinson. That's some mid-90s mojo right there.

These 1995 Donruss cards come from Dan at Pack Addict. I spied a card he featured on his blog and we worked out a trade.

This is one of those elusive late 1980s Dodger cards that I needed from 1989 Donruss. I'm still looking for the Hershiser consecutive scoreless innings card from that set.

You'd think after receiving a whole box of Ramons back in April that I would be done with his cards. Nope. I needed this 1993 Score card.

I can't help but love these 2007 Legendary Cuts cards. Pack Addict listed that he had this Pee Wee Reese card available on his blog and I jumped on it.

Autograph goodness. This is the card that I saw that triggered the trade. Wade endured injury issues this season and didn't make it on the postseason roster, but that doesn't make me want his card any less.

Next are some cards from Rod of Padrographs. This is one of the few Upper Deck '09 Dodgers that I still needed. And it's one of the Dodger heroes of the NLDS. Ethier represents the best trade the Dodgers have made in years. Maybe decades.

Another Ramon Martinez card that I needed, although I had to search around to make sure I didn't. This pose shows up a lot on Martinez's cards.

A young postseason hero for the Dodgers. I hope Clayton Kershaw can continue the tradition begun by guys like Johnny Podres and Bob Welch.

It's Manny to the Fifth Power! And he's apparently radioactive! Look at all the green glowing off him! Could be a side effect of misusing female fertility drugs! But he's hitting again, so everything's OK!

Yeah, I know that's not a card. It's a collector's plate. I had to scan it because I couldn't find my wife's camera. This was quite a surprise. It was sent to me by M. Ryan at Ryan's Memorabilia Blog.

I don't have much memorabilia, but I do have a signed artistic print of Duke Snider hanging up in my small card-room area. This Snider plate will go nicely with the print.

He also sent some A&G cards that I needed, and just the other day I got this card from him:
A red-bordered Masterpieces card of one of the greatest World Series moments of all-time! Now THAT is worth popping the cork on the champagne.

Thanks to everyone who sent cards. GO PHILLIES!

Comments

Nice Gibson card (it should have a blue border, as should all Dodger colored-border parallels). The plate is pretty cool too...
BASEBALL DAD said…
Being in the auto repair industry, I really like the "Hitting Machine" card and the Gibson Masterpiece!
TheIronLung said…
Great blog.
I miss Ramon Martinez... I had so many of his RCs.

Canada Card World - The Blog

Hockey Card Heaven
Mark Aubrey said…
Greg, nice trade goodies. I think I can hook you up with some of my Hershiser doubles. I just need to finish cataloging them.
Daniel Wilson said…
Glad you enjoyed the cards I sent. Sorry to hear about the Zach Wheat card. I actually have another one, so I will try to get that in the mail to you soon.