Skip to main content

What have I done?

I've mentioned several times on this blog that I write for a living. That's only partially true. These days, I mostly edit for a living. Edit and schedule and manage and craft and shape and all other kinds of things I'd rather not be doing.

What I would like to do, 100 percent of the time, is write. It's one of the reasons why I started this blog. I wanted a chance to do what I have so little time to do at work nowadays.

Every once in awhile I do write at work. Usually larger sports features. But there isn't even much time for that now. I've written one story this year. One. That's laughable. So, I decided to do something about it. I volunteered myself to write a simple, harmless, high school feature. On a top cross-country runner. That couldn't be that time-consuming could it? Ha! I immediately found out why I don't write as much anymore.

It's not that I can't do it anymore or don't enjoy it. It's just that I forgot how work intensive it is just to arrange a lousy feature of some high school kid. There are schedules, and directions, and weather, and recording equipment that won't work, and kids that won't talk, and coaches that won't cooperate. Damn, I just figured out again why I became an editor.

And, let me tell you, doing all this WHILE producing a sports section each day, is baloney straight from the pig. I just don't have time to do both. And write on this blog. So, I will be letting the writers on the staff write and I'll stick to editing -- until I stumble across a really great story.

Meanwhile, I have a super brief time to post some cards received from Baseball Dad at All Tribe Baseball. I apologize, BD, for the way I'm going to whip through these cards. I truly enjoy them as much as any others I've received. I just ain't got the time today. And given all the whining I've just done on that subject, all of you are going to be surprised by what I have to say at the end of this post.

OK, cards. Right. Here we go:

A 1994 Pacific card of Brett Butler. I should have scanned the back. It's a giant head shot with Brett's piercing blue eyes. Dreamy.

A shiny SP card of '90s wonder boy Todd Hollandworth. One of those cards you have to tilt to truly appreciate it.

A Fleer Tradition card of a guy who played for the Dodgers twice. He now works in the Dodgers organization.

An SP card of the greatest right fielder of the Aughts for the Dodgers. I will never have every Shawn Green Dodger card.

A super shiny 2007 Topps Chrome card of Russell J. Martin. I hope he really surprises this NLCS.

An Xrefractorlishess card of sometimes starter/mostly reliever James McDonald.

A Hideo Nomo card that I did not have and therefore it is much appreciated. Thanks Baseball Dad!

OK, now onto what I don't have time to do. I have started another blog. It is baseball card related. And if you have been paying any attention to this blog at all, you know what it is about already.

Here's the thing. Did I mention I have no time to do this? So, I don't know how often I'll be updating it. But I like the idea of it a lot. So hop on over there and tell me what you think. I'll try to make sure both blogs don't go to pot.

Comments

Sooz said…
i am rooting for the dodgers in the next round. but not after that if they are playing the Yankees.

I like the idea of editors remembering what it's like to be a reporter.

I don't have that.
I did not realize that you weren't a full-time writer. That somehow makes me feel better. I've always been jealous of your writing-you are an amazing author! I was really jealous because I imagined you writing a newspaper full of stories every day, then coming over to blog land and writing more amazing stories. I wondered where you found all of the words or the time. Congrats on your new venture, that should be awesome! Cheers my friend,
marck
Matt Runyon said…
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to reading the nostalgia. Can't get enough of 70s cards. :)