Skip to main content

Manny happy returns ... and a trade

Mannywood is back! Yes, you have the female-fertility-drug-abusing, flaky-rastafarian-hair-wearing, puzzling-where'd-my-batting-eye-go slugger to kick around again in 2010.

But just remember: you had Barry first.

The return of Ramirez means I don't have to endure another offseason crapfest of agony like last year. With the offense relatively intact for next year, the Dodgers can now focus on finding pitching and a second baseman.

And I can focus on stuff like posting trades, which always seem to slip through the cracks around here. This trade was pulled off two or three weeks ago and Jeff of Closet Full of Cardboard already posted the cards I sent him eons ago. It's about time I do the same.

Ready for some Dodgers? No? Well, that's not the right answer. The right answer is: "you always know what we want Night Owl."

OK, on with the goodies:

A nice super-thick 2001 Fleer EX card. When I was a baby, I would chew on those Rubbermaid stirring sticks, the ones with the square, rubbery stirring thingy (I'm up on those kitchen terms, aren't I?). For some reason, these cards remind me of those. And, yes, I am resisting the urge to chew on them.

One of those Legends of New York fuzzy cards from 2001, this one of Jackie. You've already read that the fuzziness of the "B" creeps me out. But for Jackie, it's a sacrifice worth making.

The first of three Topps Chrome cards from consecutive years, this from 2001. Beltre appears to have done something really good at Wrigley Field.

Here is Chrome of Alex Cora from 2002. I have seen both gold and silver cards from 2002 Topps Chrome. I'm guessing, since I was not collecting then, silver is the parallel.

I like these 2003 Topps Chrome cards a lot. It's like having an entire set of blue parallels, which you know I think are the best modern kind of card of all-time. I might have to pick up a bunch from this set.

Jeff sent the three 1989 Bowman promo cards featuring Dodgers. The size of '89 Bowman is annoying, and I have very few pages that fit these size cards. I am always tempted to cut these things down to the right size. And since I already HAVE these three cards, I will do exactly that. Oooh, I can't wait.

A series of Piazzas. A parcel of Piazzas. An assemblage of Piazzas. And for those of you animal-inclined, find the appropriate collective noun: gaggle, murder, exaltation, etc.

Funny card. I wouldn't have pegged Kirk Gibson and Steve Garvey for having anything in common. But here they are, dressed in forest green and wearing dorky caps. For someone who doesn't appreciate national college sports, it's a neat little card.

This is an awesome item from True Value hardware that features Dodgers of past, present and future, plus "the ultimate power pressure washer." The back includes an entry form in which you could win a trip to a baseball game during the 1986 postseason. I'm always tempted to send in decades-old entry forms just to see what happens.

Lastly, a "futuristic" (for 1997) CD Rom trading card of Mike Piazza.

This clears up the VxP cards that I have received in trades. Apparently that stands for Visual Experience Inaugural Position. Yes, that makes a lot more sense now. And if I insert this into my CD drive and make sure I have Windows 95 or Windows 3.1, I can get ready for "a visual experience unlike any other."

As someone who knows very little about computers, I generally avoid plugging ancient stuff into my computer. But I'm sure it was wild-and-crazy stuff for its time.

Thanks for the cards and "pseudo cards," Jeff.

Comments

zman40 said…
Send in the entry form!
Captain Canuck said…
Player options, you gotta love 'em.
Can you imagine walking in to your boss's office at the end of the year and saying " after some thought, I'm going to come back next year, so make sure you have a place for me. And you're going to pay me a 25% increase too. Thanks!"

must be nice.