Skip to main content

The best pack I'll open in 2010


It's a very busy night in a very busy week. I don't have much time for anything except the mundane realities of life.

But I do have enough time to open my first pack of 2010 cards. As you know, Phungo Cards have hit the streets and the maker is right on top of things. Instead of having to drive all the way to the store to buy these, he delivers them right to your door! Now that's service.

Anyway, I think we've all seen these before. A nice mix of Phungo originals with cards from your traditional card manufacturers.

Ten cards per pack. Eleven cards if you find a Black Frame insert. Let's see if I get lucky:

1. Chan Ho Park, Phungo original: Another Park card to add to my monster pile of Chan Hos. Yes, I realize that last sentence sounded dirty.

2. Johnny Podres, 2005 Topps Fan Favorites: Darn, a double. How many times does the first pack of the year contain a double?

3. Orel Hershiser, 1989 Baseball Card Magazine: Awesome! A Hershiser card I needed. This pack is instantly great.

4. Chris Coghlan, Phungo original: Oooh. The Rookie of the Year. I admit I didn't see Coghlan play in a single game. I don't know how that happened, since the Marlins play the Mets on television about 147 times a year. But it did.

5. Kirk Gibson, Phungo original: Mercy, that's a close-up. But it appears as if Gibson is doing a good deed and signing autographs. Either that or someone behind the concession stand took a photo of him about to grab a hot dog.

6. Juan Pierre & Jeff Kent, Phungo original: Hey, it's a Combo card! But this one makes sense. These guys are actually teammates, not random players in the field.

7. Mickey Rivers, 2004 Topps Fan Favorites: Fantastic. This is a card I needed to complete the '04 Fan Favorites set. And the FF cards that use the '75 design are terrific.

Note the similarities to the actual 1975 Rivers card:
The pictures from both cards could have been taken on the same day. Topps even used the same color scheme, although the blue is a bit off.

8. Bruce Bochte, 1975 Topps mini: Wow, this is shaping up to be the mother of all packs. Who pulls a '75 mini out of a 2010 pack? Me, that's who. Sure, Bochte's miscut and appears to be wearing lipstick, but all I see is wonderful 75 Topps mini greatness.

9. Dodgers Rookies Stars, 1965 Topps: Zounds! A '65 Dodgers card I needed. OK, it's starting to get fishy that this pack is filled with Dodger connections, but who am I to argue?

This card literally signals the end of the Dodgers' dynasty of the early-to-mid 1960s. Look at those "stars." Two OK players and two guys who did nothing. In fact, if you view this card you can actually hear the sound of the Dodgers plummeting all the way to an eighth-place finish in 1967.
10. Harey Carey, Phungo original: I think I have an error card here. Harry Caray's first and last names are misspelled! This statue is outside Wrigley Field. Phungo does a little bit of traveling for his cards.

11. Ramon Troncoso/Chase Utley Black Framed insert, Phungo original: Yay! An insert! What a nice-looking card. I wonder if that's Russell Martin catching.

What a great pack. Thanks, Paul. This pack has set the bar pretty high for all the other 2010 packs I'll open.

Comments

The Drizz said…
that picture of gibby looks like something you'd see on tmz.com! "get that damn camera outta my face!"
deal said…
drats misspelled name. that is the at least the 3rd error I know of in the set. For various reasons I just couldn't put the time into the details that I wanted to.

I will try not to let that keep me up, but its going to bug me till past the wee hours.

for the record one of the errors is on the Troncoso Utley card - The year is 2008, and yes I am pretty sure that is Russell Martin.
I'd say that was a very nice "hot" pack.
Anonymous said…
You killed it! :)
night owl said…
deal ~ Editors can be such killjoys. Sorry. :)