Skip to main content

All work and no play makes night owl as dull as 2010 Topps Heritage


This weekend may be the busiest two days of the entire work year, and the next three weekends won't be any picnic either.

That means I don't have time for anything clever or thought-provoking today. All I can offer is a simple trade post.

I know. That's dull. But I've had to stare at 2010 Topps Heritage posts all week. So now it's my turn to dish out a bit of boring.

Fortunately, it hasn't been boring on the trade front at all. A couple weeks ago, transactions had trickled down to nothing. Then, in an instant, I'm scrambling to keep up. I'm starting to lose track of who needs cards from me. On Sunday, I hope to narrow that down.

Also, this weekend, I hope to put up a poll on what I should call the 2010 Topps design. I liked the suggestions in the last post and it's time to settle on a name. 2010 Upper Deck may take some more time.

Meanwhile, I've got a lot of transactions to show. I'll keep them to a few cards per trader to accommodate the ADD types.

I'll start with a single card that I received in the mail today from opoohwan of 2008 Allen & Ginter Card-scape. He pulled it. He thought of me. He dropped it in the mail. It's the classic American Card Collector Saga.

The patch cards are weird. Have I said that before? Yes I have. I am so not down with collecting something that was embroidered. However, it's Johnny Podres, and the World Series in which the Dodgers swept the Yankees. So, yeah, I'll take it.
More cards that I don't particularly enjoy, but when you team-collect, you cast your personal preferences aside. These two cards are from Noah. And since these are Legendary Lineage cards that feature two players from the same team, I can accept them. Meanwhile, I'm having a real hard time with the Lineage card that shows Manny Ramirez with Jimmie Fox.

Upper Deck X! You don't hear much about X anymore. Will there be Upper Deck X this year? I think if Upper Deck issues this for the next 10 years I may actually end up liking it. Yes, UD will have beaten me down.

This card came from Spiff of Texas Rangers Cards. He also sent a bunch of Orel Hershisers. I chose to feature this 1989 Score card.

But because I'm a word nut, I'm focusing on the back. Note the circled sentence.

"Suddenly, attention was paid him"??????

Any card blogger who is uncomfortable about his or her writing ability should look at that sentence when they need a pick-me-up. Nothing you write is that bad.

Anthony from Mike Pelfrey's Collectibles sent the Heritage High Number Garland card. Every time I write Pelfrey's name I want to put a "ph" in the middle of it. I actually have to stop and think before I type the name. Every time.

I'm still looking for the Sherrill and Wolf Heritage High Number cards. The more I look at 2009 Heritage, especially now that 2010 Heritage is out, the more I start to think I want to collect it. Then I think of all the short-prints and the urge goes away. But '09 Heritage has character. I like it.

Isn't that cool? Anthony sent that '07 Bowman's Best auto card of Russell Martin, too. I have 4 or 5 Martin auto cards. Just about all of them look like he signed only his first name with some sort of half smiley face at the end. Handwriting is dead.

Doc T of Baseball Card Recollections sent out a few cards that I claimed on his blog. Some were of the Fleer Ultra variety like this one.

Then there were some surprises like these Line Drive minor league cards. I featured the Bisons because I covered a few Buffalo Bisons games back in the day. Steve Swisher isn't a Bison here, but he managed the Bisons during the first Bisons game I ever saw back in 1986. I attended as a fan back when Buffalo played at the ol' Rockpile, War Memorial Stadium (where they filmed "The Natural"). The stadium was in an unfriendly part of town. It's a downright hostile part of town now.

Doc also sent some 1988 Score off my want list. Claudell Washington has a habit of being one of the last guys I need to complete a set. One of the last to finish off the 1989 Topps set

Kerry of Cards on Cards thought to find some '88 Score needs as well.

Those are some key cards in the set right there. He sent three different Mattingly cards.

I am now just six cards away from completing '88 Score. When I finish that fantastic rainbow of colors set, it will mean I've completed two of the most colorful sets of all-time, 1975 Topps being the other one. If/when I complete the 1972 Topps set, I will have completed the Rainbow Trifecta.

Those are some 1993 Upper Deck cards from Kerry as well. Another one of my favorite sets that I am wrapping up. Just nine cards to go.

The Bonds-Williams-Clark card instantly makes me like the set less. It sends shivers down my spine. I'm trying to find something good to say about them. Still coming up with nothing.

Last card. It's the final Dodger I needed for the 2010 base set. I've acquired a couple more of this card since I got this one. But I can never have enough cards of someone who will be the greatest pitcher of our generation. (No arguing!)

That's all I've got right now. If you sent cards to me and you don't see them here it likely means you're special and you get your own post.

Yes, I think the people who traded me cards that I featured on this post are special, too.

God, you're so needy.

Comments

Matt Runyon said…
Love those Score colors!
Jeffrey Wolfe said…
I cannot put into words how much I love the '88 Score set. They were so ahead of their time. Amazing photography, design, colors, tamper resistant packs. Then Upper Deck came along and put a cigar out on their face.
Anonymous said…
glad you liked the cards! Any dodgers I got have your name on it!
Anonymous said…
I'm gonna have to go through 5 monster boxes and start pulling Dodgers, aren't I?
CaptKirk42 said…
I tend to agree about the Legendary Lineage cards. Your difficulty with the Manny Ramirez with Jimmie Fox is akin to my stunned dumbfoundedness about the Hanley Ramirez with Honus Wagner. I am not a fan of the LL subset. its a shame because I like collecting the old vintage guys. If anyone is interested I have 5 of the Legendary Lineage cards for trade: LL#s 4,9,19,24,28
mr haverkamp said…
N Owl - you're upset about the writing ability of the author on the '89 Score card? I'm upset about the streak itself, the record is Drysdale's! Read this: http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/452
(particularly response 10). I was at that game, worst call I ever saw (took a run off the board due to an interference call at 2nd base); preserving the streak. Still ticked 21 years later....
Dinged Corners said…
"Suddenly, attention was paid him."
vs.
"The heather-encrusted Headlands, veiled in fog as thick as smoke in a crowded pub, hunched precariously over the moors, their rocky elbows slipping off land's end, their bulbous, craggy noses thrust into the thick foam of the North Sea like bearded old men falling asleep in their pints."
(2000 Bulwer Lytton Fiction Contest Winner)