Skip to main content

Awesome night card, pt. 94


I was thinking yesterday that the only thing that would make the revolving door card in this year's Allen & Ginter set better is if the picture used for the card was taken at night.

(By the way, if you do a Google image search of "revolving door," the very first image that pops up is the one used on the card. ... Another Maximum Effort Moment by Topps).

That thought about the revolving door got me thinking about how I really haven't seen a "night card" in Allen & Ginter yet. I suppose one might have shown up in 2006 or 2007 when I wasn't collecting the set. But the last three years I haven't noticed one.

If you expand your definition of "night card" to mean "the absence of light," then you could include "Pluto" from 2008, "the Milky Way" from 2009 or "beutelgeuse" from this year. There was even the "man walks on the moon" card from the "World's Greatest Victories" insert set from '08.

But I like to keep my definition to "events that happen after sunset and before sunrise." It's much less complicated.

Fortunately, while looking for the "man on the moon" card, I found other World's Greatest Victories cards that met my definition. There is the Red Sox's 2004 World Series championship. There is Jon Lester's no-hitter. And there is the final out of the 1986 World Series, recorded when the Mets' Jesse Orosco struck out the Red Sox's Marty Barrett in the top of the ninth inning of Game 7.

The card shows catcher Gary Carter charging out to meet Orosco on the mound as Barrett slinks away.

This was not a happy time for me. I was thoroughly disgusted. (I still think Calvin Schiraldi should have received a lot more grief than Bill Buckner did for that Series). My heart went out to all of the Boston and New England fans, of which I knew several. It was a painful time of a painful period for them ('75, '78 and '86).

So, that's what I think of when I see this card.

But as far as Allen & Ginter and night cards go, it will have to do for now. ...

Hey, Topps, when's that card of Steve Howe leaping into Steve Yeager's arms coming? You know, the one from a World Series in which a New York team got beat?

Here, I'll even supply the image:


Go nuts, Topps. Google away.

Comments

gcrl said…
yeah, that would be a nice card.
James said…
That's a great Carter '86 World Series card!