Skip to main content

Awesomest night card, round 1, part 15


I'm a bit surprised that the Awesomest Night Card tournament has caught on as well as it has. Who knew there were so many night card fans!

But it's understandable. If you haven't noticed, sporting events are starting later and later. I don't just mean for national events, but for your average high school activity, too. Playing at night is preferred. Everyone wants to play under the pretty lights.

We're raising a generation of night owls. One day we'll all get up at noon and go to sleep at 3 a.m., and I won't be so unusual anymore.

But while I'm still somewhat unique, let's get back to the night card voting. Here are the totals for the most recent candidates:

1. 1978 Topps Rich Chiles, 24 votes
2. 2004 Upper Deck Timeless Teams Memorable Moments Kirk Gibson, 6 votes
3. 1981 Fleer Rick Miller, 5 votes
4. 1987 Topps Royals Leaders, 3 votes
5. 2006 Topps Updates & Highlights Roy Halladay, 3 votes
6. 2010 Upper Deck Casey Blake, 3 votes
7. 2010 Topps Manny Ramirez, 3 votes
8. 2010 Game Day Old School Andre Ethier, 1 vote
9. 2008 Topps Omar Infante, 0 votes
10. 2007 Topps Matt Thornton, 0 votes

The Chiles card advances like a 32-year-old card should.

So that brings me to the final segment of the first round. After this week, the second round starts and we will see some real kick-ass night-card-on-night-card action. So this is your last chance to vote without your life depending on it.

Not really.

But vote anyway. Here are the nominees:


1. 2010 Topps Brian McCann: The hero of last season's All-Star Game. But I don't like this card very much.


2. 2008 Topps Allen & Ginter World's Greatest Victories, Gary Carter and the '86 Mets: This is as close as A&G gets to night cards. It's a real weakness of my favorite set.


3. 2007 Fleer Ryan Theriot: Scrappy-do is now the Cardinals' problem.


4. 1992 Stadium Club All-Star Ivan Rodriguez: This is a cool card, even if it looks like I-Rod is giving the umpire's crotch the eye.


5. 2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces Asdrubal Cabrera: Cabrera in the midst of an unassisted triple play. Plain cool.


6. 1992 Triple Play Wrigley Field: This is the second card in this segment that features Wrigley Field. That's interesting considering Wrigley's day-baseball history.


7. 2010 Topps Franchise History Phillies: I'd rather not see this scene repeated in 2011. Unless the alternative is the Yankees.

8. 1981 Donruss Mike Norris: Secretly hoping that this card wins. Oops. It's not a secret now is it?


9. 1991 Topps Traded Jack Morris: He was the star of one of the best games I'll ever see.

Those are the remaining night cards. The poll is up on the sidebar. Select wisely. You don't need all that guilt heading into the new year.

Comments

Dodgerbobble said…
I love the Wrigley card, but picking that would be too easy. I'm going with Jack Morris. The blurry faces in the dark background really give it a nice "night" feel.
I gotta go with Pudge...and if you look at his eyes, he's clearly NOT looking at the ump's crotch.
cynicalbuddha said…
Gotta go with the Mike Norris. Since I'm a huge fan of his cousin Chuck and it looks like there's a car coming right for him and he's a deer caught in the headlights.
AdamE said…
NO way can I go for a card of the 86 Mets.

I'm going with Wrigley. From the other comments though this may be the week I finally guess wrong.
Eggrocket said…
Almost went with Wrigley, but I just have never warmed up to those Triple Play cards. Went with Pudge.