Skip to main content

The best so far

I don't expect my success on Listia to last, especially if I keep showing my successes on the blog. It's only a matter of time before people connect "free cards" with "get rid of stuff you don't want," and all I'll ever see on there anymore is 1988 Topps.

Already I'm starting to struggle with finding something I want. I'm in my longest drought so far.

But immediately before that came along, I enjoyed my greatest success.

Josh D. at Royals and Randoms asked last night "What's Your Best Listia Card So Far?"

His best card is an Eric Hosmer short-print from this year's Topps. That's pretty good.

He asked if anyone could top it.

I'm not sure if I can top it. It depends on your perspective.

Here's a Listia card I received fairly recently. It doesn't top the Hosmer short-print, but I like it a lot.


These 1995 Select Can't Miss inserts are some of the best-looking cards of the '90s. I love these things. I'm not in the habit of bidding on Indians cards, but it IS Manny and it looks so fantastic. I couldn't resist. You know, the free thing and all.

OK, that doesn't top it.

So, what do I think tops it?

When I saw this card listed, my brain immediately interpreted the card as some sort of reprint, or maybe a recent Topps Heritage item that I had somehow missed.

Then I realized what it actually was, and I started watching that thing like ... well, like a Hawk Owl in a tree.


And in true Hawk Owl fashion, I swooped in at the last minute to obtain ...

...

...

...


A 1961 Topps Walter Alston card! In absolute fantastic shape -- I think that's what threw me off initially.

This card "cost" me just a hair over a 1,000 credits, which if you go by the "purchasing credits" option on Listia would put the "cost" of the card at a hair over 3 bucks. But actually it didn't cost me 3 bucks at all.

It was free.

A '61 Dodger card for free.

I just crossed #136 off my want list.

Does that top a 2012 short-print?

I don't know. For me it does.

I do know that this is probably my last great find on Listia.

It can't possibly last.

Comments

Nick said…
Nice pickup! Those early '60s manager cards are fantastic.

I've only gotten one card off Listia so far, and it's not even close to as great as that one.
AdamE said…
Vintage is greater than 2012.
Josh D. said…
That's a great find - especially if it's in good condition! I think I might have to give you the edge on this one. :-)

One nice thing about being a Royals collector is that I don't have to worry about any cards before 1969.
AdamE said…
Here is my best. It was something like 700 credits.

http://thoughtsandsox.blogspot.com/2012/05/not-quite-ordinary.html

This one was pretty good too:

http://thoughtsandsox.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-latest-great-listia-pickup.html

dayf said…
This Listia thing seems neat but I honestly barely have time to poop anymore and I can't handle another time sink. Maybe later.