Skip to main content

Suitable for framing


I was finally able to take a moment and determine which cards I would use to replace the cards that are in this wall hanging.

That is important for you -- well, for those of you who entered the contest -- because finding suitable replacements was what was holding me up from announcing a contest winner.

I scrambled around and found 16 cards that reflect my card tastes or were topics of blog posts over the last three or four years. It wasn't easy. I don't seem to have as much dupe material as I did several years ago -- or, quality dupe material anyway. I have all the 2011 Topps you could ever want.

So I'm not quite as happy with this round of cards as I was the last round.

But let's see who is going in the frame (yeah, that's what I said. You think I was going to announce the contest winner right away? Use the scroll thingy if you're that impatient):


1983 Fleer Mike Fischlin: OK, I don't think I've ever devoted a post to 1983 Fleer. And certainly not Mike Fischlin (except over on the other blog). But this card cracks me up. In it goes.



2013 Heritage Greg Dobbs: I know I'm the only one, but I am still enamored with the fact that there is a ceiling light on this card.


1985 Topps Orel Hershiser: I guess I need some big rookie card in this collection so I can impress everyone who takes a tour of my card room (which would last about 3 minutes, incidentally).


2005 All-Time Fan Favorites Reggie Jackson: I've written a few times about Fan Favorites (come back!). I've also written a few times about Reggie Jackson. The lack of a mustache makes this card alarming though.


2012 Heritage Rookie Stars: Adron Chambers appeared on five cards in 2012 Heritage. FIVE! The idiocy still astounds me.


1976 Topps Mike Kekich: This card was torn out of a magazine (probably Dynamite Magazine) by me in '76. Look at that glorious frayed top edge. It's the only card of mine that looks like that. It deserves to be showcased.


1981 Donruss: J.R. Richard: Since '81 Donruss will be my next set-collecting goal, I could use this card for inspiration. I have enough of it.



1961 Topps Wally Moon: The most famous eyebrows to ever put on a sports uniform. I love this card.



2011 Topps Opening Day Stadium Lights Pedro Alvarez: There must be a night card in this mix. Let's go with the greatest Opening Day insert of all-time.



1990 Topps Fred Lynn Turn Back the Clock: From one of the best inserts ever to one of the best subsets ever. And we have a fake card of Lynn to top it off.


1979 Topps Bill Almon: The older I get, the more the 1970s made sense. Gold and brown. Perfect sense.



2009 Allen and Ginter Magglio Ordonez: I am getting nostalgic for the days when I bought a box of A&G and played Gint-a-Cuffs. This card is a tribute to that. But I have my doubts on whether it will be enough for me to participate this year.


1996 Collector's Choice Scrapbook Hideo Nomo: It's a travesty that Nomo was not included in the last group on the wall. I'm changing that now.




1983 Topps Doug Flynn: I need an Expo on the wall at all times. Let's go with someone who is never mentioned. Yet he was traded for Tom Seaver.



1982 Topps Highlight Nolan Ryan: A week ago, it was one of four cards I needed to complete the set. Now, it's a dupe. Let's make that work for me. (And yeah, I know there are two Astros here now. I was blinded by the rainbow colors.



1959 Topps Ron Fairly: Another travesty of the last 16 was that there were no Dodgers included. So, now, with a young Ron Fairly, there are four Dodgers in the updated 16. As it should be.

And here is my revised wall hanging:



I do like it. Not a ton of star power, but still cards that mean something to me. And that's what matters.

Meanwhile, you're tapping your foot.

OK, let's get down to the winner.

There were 35 entries for this contest. And after randomizing three times, the list that popped out was ...

...

...

...

...

...

...

This:


Congrats to Stealing Home.

You have won yourself the 16 cards at the top of the post, minus the '72 Stan Williams but plus another '72 Topps card -- and since you're a Dodger fan, I think I have one of those around (I'm sure I've got your address unless you've moved recently).

Thanks for playing.

And thanks for indulging how I decorate my card room.

Comments

Tony L. said…
Congrats to Stealing Home. I'm getting more and more convinced with each passing day that I need to start a special "unibrow" collection.
Robert said…
Great contest, thank you for hosting it!! That wall frame looks fabulous, the cards look like they belong together in a set.

How in the hell do you do that....?
hiflew said…
Woohoo! I beat one person. You know I have seen that Fred Lynn TBC card thousands of times and I know I pulled it out of a pack several times when 1990 Topps was new and it never occurred to me that it was a made up card. It was one of those I knew it, but I didn't know it situations.

Overall, I think you did a great job with the new hanging. I'd have to give the edge to the original by a little just because of Gamble, but the new one is pretty cool too.
I saw this thumbnail on my sidebar and thought "Where did he get the 16-pocket pages?"
Mark Hoyle said…
Great contest. The wall hanging has inspired me to put something like this together myself
defgav said…
Nice hanging. And the upper right corner glows in the dark! That'll make for a little extra fun at night.
Stealing Home said…
Wow! Thanks, buddy! What a great set of cards!
It's an honor to win those cards that were so treasured on your wall. I'm working right now on creating my man cave, so those cards are going to look great reframed (in some fashion) from your wall to mine.
P.S. I haven't moved yet, but hope to be moving into the ol' man cave soon.
Stealing Home said…
PS - Can you link us to the post you wrote explaining why you chose the previous "Sweet 16" ?
night owl said…
I don't think I explained the previous group. I tried to find the post where I showed them all together but had no luck. If I do find it, I'll link it here.
Mr. Night Owl Cards:

I have the 1981 Donruss set but it's littered with errors. In fact, I have sheet of paper detailing each error card. Question for you: Does that make my set more desireable or less so?

At the time, I remember thinking that the first Donruss set was going to be the next big thing....and I was going to be in at the ground floor. Soon, Fleer was next and before you know it, the whole damn baseball card business went crazy. 35 years later, I still have no clue what to collect anymore...
petethan said…
Nice, Only a true connoisseur would have that '83 Fischlin on his wall. Well played.