Skip to main content

Some very 2016 cards and some 2016 contest results


I will be announcing the winner of my anniversary contest in this post, but I wanted to clear off one side of my desk first.

This is the last remaining trade package on the card desk. That means I have to get my butt in gear and get the cards on the opposite side of the desk out to people. The rest of this week, though, is looking fairly grim for that kind of frivolity.

Anyway, these cards are from Twitter pal, Will. He sent very recent and very needed cards from 2016. I have neglected 2016 cards so much.

There was a selection of needs from a variety of products. Let's take a look:


Some Bowman. Only Kershaw and Puig are still with the Dodgers. #ThanksBowman.



Some Allen & Ginter. These are from the retail-only insert set, I think. I get these confused with the Numbers Game inserts, which tells you how necessary it was to create both insert sets.



Some Stadium Club. This just leaves three Dodgers cards remaining for the team set: Kershaw, Koufax and Jackie Robinson. Hmmmm.



A Chromey of the Dodgers' 17th Rookie of the Year. I knew it all along.



A Pinkie parallel of Brett Anderson. Bring back the borders.



Two unnecessary inserts of Mike Piazza but at least in the right uniform.



A first-pitch card of Lorraine Baines-McFly that I've wanted since the Series 2 checklist was first announced.



Oh, and this guy:


I'm not going to insult your intelligence or mine by pretending to know who this is. Hip-hop guy. That's all I will venture.


An Archives for the '79 cause. Need 10 more (excluding *cough* the super short-prints).



Three very appreciated Heritage cards (including the Kershaw Stand-Up at the top of the post). This pairing of last season's fantastic 1-2 punch includes the Kershaw short-print that completes the Dodgers team set for me, and the black-bordered chrome Greinke that allows me to do this:


The base card looks horribly wrong I would hope even for the most objective of eyes.



And, finally, two more 1975 Topps buybacks. Those are cards No. 83 and 84 in the collection. I think it's time to order another bunch!

Many thanks to Will for sending those along. I'll be compiling some return cards to go with the other packages I have to send out in the next week or so.

One of those will include the prize package, which just to review includes:

-- The Steve Balboni autographed card
-- The George Foster relic card
-- The Reggie Jackson diamond giveaway card
-- The Ben McDonald Obak autographed card
-- The Terry Pendleton autographed card
-- The small lot of Corey Seager cards
-- The Mike Trout Stadium Club gold parallel
-- The 1958 Hoyt Wilhelm
-- And the blaster of 2016 Gypsy Queen

OK, there was an amazing 82 entrants for the contest. So you really put random.org (and me) to work. But after counting and re-counting and RE-counting, I'm confident everyone is accounted for and a proper winner was determined by three spins of the randomizer.

Here are the spins with the winner being the No. 1 person on the final spin:


One spin.


Two spins.


Final spin.

Congratulations to Nachos Grande. Happy to see a Reds fan (they've suffered so much) and a frequent trading partner win a bunch of good stuff.

Enjoy!

Thanks for entering, trading and all that stuff.

Have I used the word "stuff" enough?

Stuff.

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Oh well, the contest gods have smiled upon me tonight! This is a great way to end a day for me, thanks!
Matt said…
Congrats winner and I like the first pitch additions
Rob said…
NOOOOOOOO! I won the first spin. :( But congrats to Nachos and thank you Nightowl for the brief chance at victory, lol...
CaptKirk42 said…
Love Lea Thompson first pitch. Need to remember to look for it.
Mark Hoyle said…
Congrats Nachos. Thanks for the contest
Jeremya1um said…
Almost had it. First in second spin and second in final one. Congrats Nachos!

Are both of those versions of the Greinke part of the chrome parallel set or was the D-Backs one part of the regular set and the Dodgers one part of the chrome insert? Kind of confusing, especially with the photoshopped picture.
night owl said…
Greinke with Diamondbacks is part of the regular set. I don't know why that was done. Normally it means chrome set was created first, but with all the Topps monkey business now, who knows.